IGNORED

Yr 12 2024

Sincerely

Julie3Girls

I’ve only had a quick look at it (was busy trying to calm her down), looks like it’s a mathematical induction, but needs to be written up in a proper report, not just the maths. The question was about the triangulation of a polygon I think?  Massive rubric of what needed to be included. 
She has tried looking up stuff online, most of it takes her to university level maths sites.  
Currently does have something worked out,  dropped her off early at school to try and find a maths teacher to help her, because her teacher isn’t there until Wednesday. 

• Like 1

barrington
1 hour ago, Sincerely said:

DD2 also had to do assignments for both maths Extn 1 and 2 last term, but they had about ten questions in each and nothing like a 800 word report on one induction question, which I’m struggling to imagine, so can understand why Julie3Girl’s DD might be having difficulty with it. 

I just had a look at DD1's methods report, it was 12 pages long.  Something to do with heights of mountains.  It was only one question.  

Sincerely
50 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

The question was about the triangulation of a polygon I think?  Massive rubric of what needed to be included. 

Hmm, there would be convex & concave polygons. Depending on what the question asks, the latter set of polygons certainly might be tricky.

Edited by Sincerely

Julie3Girls

LOL 😆 I have no idea. As, I said, I honestly don’t remember stuff this hard, and I did 4unit maths in high school and got a really high TER (old ATAR). So Ive either blanked it out of my memory, or maths has got a lot harder 😆

Sincerely
13 minutes ago, barrington said:

I just had a look at DD1's methods report, it was 12 pages long.  Something to do with heights of mountains.  It was only one question.  

I was puzzled as to how an induction proof in the Yr 12 curriculum could be 800 words, but if it involves the number of ways to triangulate polygons, particularly if concave polygons are to be considered, then it’s far more than an induction proof, although once it is shown how the formula should be determined, an appropriate proof would be by a form of inductive reasoning.

Edited by Sincerely

DD has hardly started. They went back last week, but had Yr 12 retreat. So yesterday was the first day of classes. And half of Monday is taken up with school assembly, Christian Living and mentor group. 

She had her first English class yesterday, and came home, “Mum, the teacher’s lovely, but I won’t survive a year in that class with kids who are not actually interested in English. I’m going to swap to Lit. I’d rather get a B in a subject with an exam, but look forward to class, compared to an A in a subject without an exam, but in a class I dread.” (Probably helps that her favourite teacher of all time takes Lit!) So she organised the swap today and can’t wait to rock up to class and surprise him tomorrow. Now she has to quickly catch up with reading 1984. 

She had her first drama class today and came home elated. Apparently the drama average is always the top subject in the school and the teacher has never had an assignment moderated down. She is also an outside moderator. For the last 2 years, all students have received an A or higher!

• Like 2

Gosh @Lees75 your kid must go to a school with a lot of high achievers if everyone gets an A!

One more day to go for us.

• Like 1

barrington
8 hours ago, Lees75 said:

She had her first drama class today and came home elated. Apparently the drama average is always the top subject in the school and the teacher has never had an assignment moderated down. She is also an outside moderator. For the last 2 years, all students have received an A or higher!

We have the same, although not sure if it would be considered the top subject.  Especially not when scaling comes in.  I believe the lowest mark for the external exam (from about 40 kids) was 21/25 for drama.  Very experienced teacher!

It makes such a difference when they are happy!  As my DD is with only 4 kids in her offline maths class.  

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

So, dd managed to track a bit of help on Monday for her maths assessment, was reassured that what she had so far seemed to be right. 2 free study periods, and snack and study, on Monday and she smashed out the whole thing.  Going to check in with her actual teacher today, but is ready to hand it in. 

Everything else seems to be going well, most classes a bit of revision and outlining work for the rest of the year. She is going to miss one of the CAPA auditions while we are away next weekend, she mentioned it to the teacher. The teacher laughed, said, of course you are in, you thought you had a choice??

Full steam ahead on a lot of things - swimming carnival this Friday, CAPA auditions have started this week, Valentines Day (yr12 fundraiser) next Wednesday, excursion next Thursday to Sydney for Callback (last years top hsc dance performances). We are actually picking her up in Sydney on our way down to Melbourne.  Dd is disappointed they don’t get to go to OnStage (the drama one) but the school couldn’t get tickets. You would think these performances would be great to stream online, for all the schools that can’t manage to get to Sydney for them.

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

@Lees75 that’s impressive about the drama class results.  And the English - makes so much difference if they enjoy the class.  Although I’m quite happy we are finished with  1984 here.  Both DD2 and Dd3 studied that in yr11.

14 hours ago, Prancer said:

Gosh @Lees75 your kid must go to a school with a lot of high achievers if everyone gets an A!

One more day to go for us.

The school is decent, for sure, but I think it is more the absolute insanity, ferociousness, tenacity and dedication of the drama teacher. She is very demanding of her students (like insanely so!), but they all love her. She basically demands their souls, but then gives them hers in return. 

DD absolutely loved her first class of English Literary Studies today. Small-ish class of 11, and when she walked in, although none of them are in her tight circle of friends, they were all really excited she had switched. Their first assignment is to write an article/pop-culture style piece on the Nation's Identity. She has lots of ideas floating around in her head, but wants to theme it around the concept of a mosaic. Broken pieces coming together to make something beautiful. 

@Julie3Girls what are CAPA auditions? 

• Like 2

Julie3Girls

@Lees75 CAPA - Creative and Performing Arts. We have a lot of CAPA ensembles.  Various Dance groups (general dance at different levels, tap, hoops), drama ensemble, vocal group, junior and senior rock band, senior and junior drum corps. Couple of art groups that don’t have auditions but have intro sign up meetings. 

They rehearse during breaks, and before school, perform a couple of times a year, some groups more than others.

• Like 1

seemingly

From a teacher's point of view... had some year 12s come in today to Math after voluntarily skipping their last lesson (it was after a year 12 welcome ceremony/celebration) and also having a few days off the last two weeks (happened to be days with Math). This is a significant amount of time to be away when we only have 3 lessons per week and our first week had a public holiday on a Math day. They were frustrated at the fast pace of the lesson, finishing tasks I started with the class in previous lessons and moving onto concepts that need to be recovered before their assessment is handed out. They were complaining under their breaths. It makes me really sad to not have a positive lesson with seniors, because they've chosen to be there, you know? But it isn't my fault you're behind, so please don't take it out on me 😢

• Care 1
  • Sad 4

Mary McGregor
41 minutes ago, seemingly said:

They were frustrated at the fast pace of the lesson, finishing tasks I started with the class in previous lessons and moving onto concepts that need to be recovered before their assessment is handed out. They were complaining under their breaths.

Entitled children...

They are going to get a rude shock at university level. Nobody cares if you live or die! lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That sounds frustrating @seemingly.  My kid did maths stage 4 last year (not sure what that equates to in other states) and also had an operation and follow up appointments.  She dragged herself back to school 4 days after surgery despite having a med cert and she knew she could not miss maths!  We also refused to book any appointments in that were on at the same time as maths.  Missing one lesson just meant you got behind and it is so hard to catch back up.

School is finally back tomorrow, feel like we are the last in this thread.  She is so ready though.  Last year she was the new kid in the block, this year she is an old hand.

• Care 1

Julie3Girls

@seemingly that would be so frustrating as a teacher.  It seems to be so hard to cover the curriculum, even without so many missed days.  And maths in particular, can be hard to catch up if you miss a couple of lessons.
I know at the end of the last year, there were so many things on at school, the yr12 kept missing their chemistry classes, the science teacher was getting so frustrated.

It’s one of the reasons I love that our school is doing a flipped classroom for DD’s maths class - lessons are recorded and the kids watch it as homework. Class time is for working on exercises, asking questions etc, when they have the teacher there to actually help with the work.  Means kids who can’t be in class for whatever reason can still watch the lesson, no excuses. 

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Like 5

barrington

DD1 is sick.  And today is the day they are doing their chemistry experiments.  Apparently if she's not there to watch, then she can't write about that part of the experiment in her report and will probably lose marks. 

I think the stress of grade 12 is making her recovery from this illness longer, rather than letting her body take the time it needs to rest.  

We may still pump her full of drugs and send her to just that one lesson today, dependent on how her teacher responds to the email she is going to write.

• Sad 1

Julie3Girls
33 minutes ago, barrington said:

DD1 is sick.  And today is the day they are doing their chemistry experiments.  Apparently if she's not there to watch, then she can't write about that part of the experiment in her report and will probably lose marks. 

I think the stress of grade 12 is making her recovery from this illness longer, rather than letting her body take the time it needs to rest.  

We may still pump her full of drugs and send her to just that one lesson today, dependent on how her teacher responds to the email she is going to write.

Part of a formal assessment?  If it is, she should be able to apply for special consideration, but it will involve paperwork and a doctors certificate (NSW anyway) 

it’s a crappy situation when the easiest option is going in sick 😕

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

Dd has decided to drop Maths Ext, and go back to just 12 units, keeping modern given she is finding that pretty easy.  She doesn’t need the maths extension for anything in the future, and it gives her back a couple of mornings, and lets her do Thursday Senior snack and study (if it runs, currently they have no teachers available to supervise/help). As well as just freeing upgeneral study time, as maths tends to be time consuming with ongoing exercises. She can throw all her maths energy into advanced instead.  Definitely lifted a stress off her.

• Like 4

@barrington if you have a medical certificate they should run the experiment at a different time for her, if that is physically possible so that she is not disadvantaged.

• Like 1

barrington
11 hours ago, Julie3Girls said:

Part of a formal assessment?  If it is, she should be able to apply for special consideration, but it will involve paperwork and a doctors certificate (NSW anyway) 

it’s a crappy situation when the easiest option is going in sick 😕

32 minutes ago, Meepy said:

@barrington if you have a medical certificate they should run the experiment at a different time for her, if that is physically possible so that she is not disadvantaged.

Thank you.  We do have a medical certificate, but one of DD's friends said she would video the experiment.  Hopefully that was the case.  I'm not sure if it can be replicated.  

• Like 2

DD came up with her comparative essay topic for English Literary Studies today. She’s going to compare Hamilton and Oppenheimer, with the theme of historical figures’ legacies, or something similar. She and DS were getting so excited talking about it tonight. He’s excited to help her break down Oppenheimer, and she needs NO help breaking down Hamilton- lol!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

barrington

Mine were talking about maths last night.  DD1 was quizzing DS (at uni) about his marks for her equivalent upcoming exams, and DS was giving advice on what to revise.  

• Like 1

DD17 stayed home from the Athletics Carnival today to finish off her first English Literature Studies assessment piece - a pop culture style article on National Identity. She had lots of ideas right at the start and had "word vomited" all her ideas and concepts in to a document, but was unsure on how to put it together. Her teacher knows her pretty well (her favourite teacher, who had her for both English and Media Studies in Yr 10 when her mental health was down the toilet), and he suggested she write a "Greta Thunberg style speech." She just read it out to me and I cried - she absolutely nailed it! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Julie3Girls

So the maths extension assessment, that DD was having a breakdown over, the “I’m too stupid for this class, I can’t do it ..”  and ultimately contributing to dropping the class. 
She got her results today. 37/40.

So kind of negated the whole “I’m too stupid” theory LOL. For what it’s worth, still fine that she has dropped the class, 13 units for HSC is a heavy load, and she is a lot more relaxed without it.

• Like 2

Advertisement