IGNORED

Yr 12 2024

Sincerely

Best wishes to this year's Yr 12 students who are about to embark on their final exams. May you all stay healthy, calm and able to recall all that you have learnt. Wishing you all success to get into whatever courses and training you are aiming for and for your future.

Since the new Yr 12 cohort starts next week (including my youngest), I thought I'd start a new thread. I hope all of you have had a great spring school vacation and are all fired up for Yr 12.

Edited by Sincerely
  • Love 1

I’m here this year .. dd3, last one to go through. Can’t believe I will have no kids at high school.

The “last” events have already started - she is away on tour, so her first day of yr 12 will be spent performing in Emerald QLD.

Term 4 is a slightly confusing term .. with the old year 12 still around doing exams, and the new year 12 started.

My middle child is in this cohort.  She started year 12 work this week and has made the decision to drop a subject, meaning all her 5 subjects count for ATAR.  She is very organised and motivated, so I'm not expecting too many issues with the year.  

Dropping a subject is pretty standard at our school, to the point that dd was having so many people asking what subject she was dropping all last term. Had to convince her that it was perfectly normal to NOT drop down to 10 units.  And then her maths teacher convinced her to not drop maths extension, so she is going into yr12 with 13 units.

Of course, she hasn’t got her yr11 prelim results yet, so that might change her mind lol

My eldest is here next year too.  She is very independent with her schoolwork and I get very little out of her.   I think our school system works very different to others states.  DD is busy studying for exams and after exams is on holiday.  No starting year 12 work this year.

• Like 1

Yes, maybe we need to include state lol 

I’m NSW, so officially yr 12 starts this term, so 4 terms of yr12, graduating end of term 3. 

• Like 1

Year 12 doesn’t start here until next year. Year 11 still has a couple of weeks and then exams and then they finish in early Nov until Feb next. 

My kid got most of the points needed in year 11, so he has a bit more freedom next year and has picked a couple of interest subjects. 

Is it only in NSW that Yr 12 students start in the previous calendar year? Sorry I started this thread so early then.

37 minutes ago, Sincerely said:

Is it only in NSW that Yr 12 students start in the previous calendar year? Sorry I started this thread so early then.

Some Qld schools too. 

Humphreybear

My middle one is doing the HSC next year so starts year 12 next week. They dropped a subject so down to 11 units. 

will be a different year compared to #1 (and #3)

So odd it is all different.  All these people starting year 12 this year are not doing exams?  

My kid picks 4 subjects in year 11 and 4 in year 12.  Most ATAR subjects you can do in either year 11 or year 12, but I think you can only use 2 subjects towards your ATAR.  Ifyou have high marks you can go straight into pretty much anything bar physics, chemistry and certain maths courses, as there are pre requisites to do these courses.  You can also do an easier version of the subject to ease you into doing the harder version that gets an ATAR score the next year.   My kid did not do English at all this year but will do it next year.  She has 3 exams and her classes are mixed with year 12 students, so the exams are full on and marked externally.  

Edited by Prancer

Yes, they do exams.  Yr 11 final exams (prelims) were at the end of term 3. 

NSW - you choose subjects for hsc. Yr 11 is the preliminary course, you have to do that in order to do the yr 12 hsc course. So subjects are pretty much for 2 years. You need 12 units (6 subjects usually) for yr11, and can drop to 10 units for year 12 if you want. 

You would think there would be something at close to standardisation, given we now have a national curriculum through to year 10. It’s crazy to have so much variation.

It is so interesting.  Doing subjects for 2 years sounds full on.  I imagine most people do maths and English do not much left.  Though sounds like NSW study 6 subjects where here it is generally 4 and a line off.  5 would be the maximum bit appears most don’t do it and 4 is considered full time.  

Year 11s do the same exams as year 12s - if you chose the higher level subjects.  I imagine most year 11s would not chose 4 lots of higher level subjects.  I certainly encouraged my kid to study an easier subject.  My kid’s exam time table looks ok.  Physical science in the first week, maths methods 4 in the morning of the second week and then biology the next day in the afternoon.

Yes, 6 subjects would be the normal for yr11.

DD is doing

Advanced English.  
Advance Maths. 
Chemistry. 
Modern History
Dance
Drama

plus maths extension 1 - which is a one unit subject, so 13 units all up. All the others are 2 unit subjects.

English, at some level, is compulsory for HSC, and must count as part of your ATAR. 

Next year mine is doing

English Literature

Sports Science

Chemistry

and I think Physics but also wondering about Economics.

I will see how she goes in her physical science (intro to chem and physics) and certainly be encouraging something other than physics if she struggled in it.  And hoping she passes methods 4 this year or she may need to reassess if she needs to do maths.

Edited by Prancer

My baby will be doing Yr 12 next year. It won’t start until next year though.

In SA, there are lots of combinations and options, but it is relatively standard for kids wanting an ATAR to do 6 subjects in Yr 11, including the compulsory Yr 12 research project, and then drop to 4 in Yr 12. Some still do 5, but our school normally counsels them not to, dependent on the child, of course. 

Yr 11 is generally harder from a workload perspective than Yr 12, particularly at schools who do the compulsory research project in Yr 11. DD has survived and thinks Yr 12 will be a breeze in comparison. She will be doing:

English, Drama, Psychology and Music (solo performance and ensemble). So she will only have one exam next year-  psychology. 

Edited by Lees75

First day of Yr 12 tomorrow. She got up early, tidied up, vacuumed and organised her room and baked cupcakes (which were supposed to have been her lunchbox treat for the week).

She is studying Adv Eng, Adv maths, Extn 1 & 2, biology, physics & dance.

In a way, she should be the easiest of my three. My older two needed 99+ ATARs as they wanted to study medicine and R & D Engineering, whereas DD2 wants to study maths education at Wollongong Uni which only requires an ATAR of 73 and she is a pretty good student who is likely to get an early entry offer, but I was disappointed when she said that she didn’t really need to do well at extension 1 & 2 maths since many maths teachers can’t/don’t teach extension maths. I told her that whilst she could do what she liked with her life, I wasn’t going to pay $80K in college fees so she could go to the beach every day (the reason she picked Wollongong) and become a mediocre teacher. If she wants to be a maths teacher, then she owed it to future generations to be a good maths teacher. 

Edited by Sincerely
  • Like 1

Mary McGregor

Hello! My 6'3" bearded baby boy is starting the NSW HSC tomorrow. He doesn't know what he is dropping. Probably doing Adv Eng, Extension 1 and 2. Both Mod and Ancient history. Economics, Maths, and Society and Culture are up in the air. 

I have kept my mouth shut about no sciences, and the likelihood of no mathematics. When I did my HSC I had a lot of family 'input'. 4u maths, phys and chem were expected - sciences were the king. I am not passing on the baton of unhappiness to my children.

Anyway! Good luck to all the parents for the next 13 months!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mary McGregor said:

I have kept my mouth shut about no sciences, and the likelihood of no mathematics. When I did my HSC I had a lot of family 'input'. 4u maths, phys and chem were expected - sciences were the king. I am not passing on the baton of unhappiness to my children.

In a family of numberphiles who genuinely love maths & science, my youngest was, for a long time, the unicorn who was very good at etymology, creative writing, debating, languages and the performing arts. She used to consider herself hopeless in maths when she was in primary school, but has been steadily getting stronger at it through high school. Still, she nearly knocked my socks off when she announced that she wanted to be a maths teacher. She is quite capable of being good at it, but she’s a social butterfly who likes to party and go out with friends and I occasionally have to remind her that her privileged life has been made possible by decades of our hard work and sacrifices. She is our ‘baby’ though and it’s hard to say no to her. 

Edited by Sincerely
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Mary McGregor said:

Hello! My 6'3" bearded baby boy is starting the NSW HSC tomorrow. He doesn't know what he is dropping. Probably doing Adv Eng, Extension 1 and 2. Both Mod and Ancient history. Economics, Maths, and Society and Culture are up in the air. 

Anyway! Good luck to all the parents for the next 13 months!

4u maths, physic and chem, computer studies … all pushed on me, not so much by family but by the teachers at school. Came easily, got good marks, and got me a fantastic TER (the old atar) but no real passion for any of it. Which is why I have been so careful with my girls … I wanted them to choose subjects they enjoyed.  Dd1 and DD2 were no science, which I struggled with a bit, but they kept the adv maths. Loved seeing dd2 so passionate about her history subjects. 

DD3 has that passion for learning in general, which is why she isn’t dropping anything at the moment. We had so much trouble with her subject selection because her subjects  were all over the place. She just has so much curiosity about everything - they have done a lot of education museum type things on tour, and she was talking to me last night, said she and X are obviously the weird ones … they had to be dragged out of places because they spend so much really enjoying the museums. Was really looking forward to the dinosaur museum today. 

• Love 1

Mary McGregor
41 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

Came easily, got good marks, and got me a fantastic TER (the old atar) but no real passion for any of it.

Yep. And then you have to find work... it is horrible to do something you really do not enjoy. I remember feeling very trapped and uncertain in my late teens :(

• Care 1

Advertisement