IGNORED

Robodebt royal commission

dianalynch

3 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

Oh I think Scott Morrison is equally to blame and should be charged with something but she enabled them.  There are many to blame over many years but the two I hold most responsible is Morrison and her. 

I agree. They worked to get the program going by deceit in their respective areas. In Campbell’s case, she will be easier to take down due to her being a public servant. Morrison requires a longer game simply because his role was as a minister and then PM. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BornToLove said:

I agree. They worked to get the program going by deceit in their respective areas. In Campbell’s case, she will be easier to take down due to her being a public servant. Morrison requires a longer game simply because his role was as a minister and then PM. 

Let's hope this leads to tighter guidelines for behaviour from senior people from both groups.

As well as the direct victims, I'd hate to think what effect this had on the mental health of the great frontline staff, who've been acknowledged for their supportive behaviour.

When our daughter had reached the end of the line with her previous employer, the Centrelink front office bloke suggested the next line of help would be via her local MP, and asked who that was.  When we told him it was Frydenberg, his face fell and he just said 'oh' in a deflated voice.

That's why I was so thrilled to feel like I had a part in kicking him out. I had no control over the others, but that bit, I did.

• Like 8

MerryMadigralMadge

I listened to the excellent 7AM podcast series on Robobebt last week - Rick Morton did 5 episodes, each on a different aspect - one episode with Bill Shorten, another with Colleen Taylor and so on. Highly recommend. 

One comment that stood out, was that the Public Sector union was calling for an apology to frontline Centrelink staff, who bore the brunt of implementing this awful policy change, and they saw the ramifications on the people they were dealing with. 

• Like 11

MerryMadigralMadge

Kathryn Campbell had finally resigned. 

Scott Morrison et al continue to be utterly shameless. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • 100 1
  • Love 1

She resigned imho because she saw the writing on the wall….a voluntary separation is better than a termination for misconduct 

if it was based on any sense of wrong doing, it would have happened ages ago…

but not to worry, she’ll have an ample pension and a comfortable retirement, unlike those poor people relentlessly pursued by illegal debt letters 

• 100 2
  • Angry 4

Now I’d like to see a process start to determine if Kathryn Campbell should keep her order of Australia for excellence in public administration….that and her conspicuous service cross (one bar) which are military but I believe it’s important to consider character 

• Like 3
  • 100 7

14 hours ago, LunaFreya said:

Morrison should be next the cunt 

I have a theory that Morrison can't financially afford to quit.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

I have a theory that Morrison can't financially afford to quit.

He can’t. Why do you think there are semi regular news items about his employment prospects? He’s desperate to get into private life but needs salary comparable to the PM so he can maintain the lifestyle Jen has become accustomed to. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LunaFreya said:

Maybe he should economise then. Cut back on the avocado toast 

Or do what Barnaby discovered most people do, turn the heating off overnight.

• Like 7
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, LunaFreya said:

Maybe he should economise then. Cut back on the avocado toast 

Cutting back on overseas holidays to Hawaii and Greece would help the bank account more. 

• Like 10
  • 100 1

10 minutes ago, LunaFreya said:

No, he’ll BE ONE, in a jail cell 

He already is one, only he gets to enjoy it. 

• Like 2

ContentedFleur

https://theshovel.com.au/2023/08/01/victim-of-robodebt-scheme-finally-heard/

"Mr Morrison said throughout the Robodebt scandal he had felt alone and powerless, with only the world’s largest media organisation to speak on his behalf. “There were times when it was too overwhelming. Those days when you realise it’s just you, forty News Corp columnists, the Department of Human Services and the Federal Government, up against the might of Australia’s unemployed. I hope I never have to go through something like that again”.

• Angry 1
  • Haha 9

Robodebt is one of the best arguments for a universal basic income I’ve seen…no one should live in fear of our social safety net

imagine how much better we’d feel and then how much more productive we’d be without this great hulking bureaucracy damaging everyone’s mental health 

• 100 5

And you know what? Robodebt has impacted a lot of people in ways, even those who didn't get hit by it, but who receive any sort of income from Centerlink. In another thread a few of us were saying how just seeing the email notification that you have a new myGov message sends spikes anxiety (and I'm never quiet trusting that they have got the amount correct and worry about being hit with an unexpected bill and being told to pay it right not). That isn't how a welfare system should run. You shouldn't be terrified that any day you will be told they have paid you wrong and you must pay it back right now. Especially when that money is, more often then not, what you depend on to eat, have a roof over your head. *Me currently trying to work out if they are overpaying me FTB as it's gone up much more then I expected. Or to be truthful I didn't think it would go up and am wondering if I'm going to be screwed next EOFY.*

• Like 1
  • 100 3

• 1 year later...

Twelve public servants, including former department heads Kathryn Campbell and Renée Leon, breached the code of conduct 97 times during their involvement in the robodebt program, a report into the unlawful scheme has found.

The two former agency heads will not face sanctions as they no longer work for the public service. The report notes they will have to declare the findings, if asked, for the next five years if they try to get work in the Australian public service or as a contractor.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/sep/13/robodebt-aps-report-kathryn-campbell-renee-leon-public-servants-breached-code-of-conduct-ntwnfb

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Advertisement