IGNORED

Robodebt royal commission

dianalynch

purplekitty
1 minute ago, Andi said:

You have to be signed in to an account now. 

Oh OK.Thanks.

Everything barely works at all anyway.

• Like 2

Yogaalaates
12 minutes ago, Andi said:

You have to be signed in to an account now. 

Boooo! I just read stuff. I don’t want an account.

• Like 2
  • 100 4

32 minutes ago, DrowninginPlushies said:

I followed Robodebt at the time as I was having a different issue with Clink, but still their fault, and large-ish amounts of money (I tried to tell them, they said I was wrong.... then... you criminal! give it back!!)

I started having out of character panic attacks if I got a text message saying I had a message in my MyGov inbox (DD was in daycare). I admitted this to other parents and they said they had the same panic/fear response and if they couldn't check immediately they'd become worse. So, I can only imagine what Robodebt victims felt in comparison since it was such a massive problem they couldn't escape, and knew they couldn't win, even though they had done nothing wrong. 

A system of social support isn't working if people are afraid of using it, and aren't listened to. I hope they name and shame, and force the perpetrators to face public consequences - not just for the current victims, but to deter out of touch government staff from trying it again because it won't be covered up forever.

Once I became my daughter's nominee at Centrelink (a move suggested by frontline Centrelink staff due to the difficulty proving she didn't have a debt) I was getting them, too, and had the same reaction as you, and I wasn't even the one affected.  Living in a country where you can't trust your own government to look after your interests and treat you fairly is something we'd expect of countries that people flee to find a better life.

Our daughter was. not prepared to sign up to Jobseeker again, even though she only had part time work. Can't say I blamed her although living at home of course she had the luxury of doing that - plenty didn't. 

Funnily enough it was Covid that saved her - when they announced the doubling her job disappeared (wedding floristry), and I think I mentioned upthread, what did they ask for?  Payslips from the employer who caused her robodot in three ways, one of which was not supplying payslips! She'd since had two other employers.   I helped her write a letter explaining this and within 24 hours her application was approved, I suspect no one had time to read that sort of stuff!

• Like 5
  • 100 1

44 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

It works for me?

I'm not a registered twitter user so can no longer read anything other than a direct link.

I have not registered for ANY social media and don't want to.

• Like 2

I hope the recommendations are followed. I'm already seeing lots of negativity about welfare recipients since a lot of people got new jobs or their old jobs back. During COVID it all died for a while as people suddenly realised anyone can be made unemployed at any time, but now it's all that 'why haven't they got a job' crap again. Even toward people who are working but homeless. We are a heartless country these days toward any of the needy. Jobless. Homeless. Single parents. Aged. Disabled. Disadvantaged. 

• Like 6
  • 100 3
  • Sad 2

It didn’t die, you had previously privileged people complaining about a system that was already broken before they had to use it 

• Like 7

LemonMyrtle
4 hours ago, BornToLove said:

The podcast 7am is doing a series on robodebt this week with Rick Morton. Todays episode is Rick interviewing Bill Shorten. The rest of the week sounds interesting, worth checking out. 

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll try this. I don’t think I have the stamina to read the report, it’s all a bit upsetting, no, upsetting isn’t the right word, it makes me angry, really really angry, and I need less anger in my life, but some podcasts about it might be easier to handle. 

im glad the royal commission findings were on the side of good and logic and made some good recommendations. 

Like a few others here I also think my so called 'debt' from many years ago might have been a Robodebt. For a couple of years I was hounded by calls and letters and had fear and panic at the messages in the Mygov inbox. I still remember reading the first message informing me of the $23,000 I apparently owed them. I had no idea what on earth I'd done or not done. Cried a few times on the phone calls as I did not in any way have that kind of money. They could not explain to me what this debt was and I escalated it and think there was some sort of 'formal investigation'. Was going through a long and protracted divorce at the time was truly awful and I feel for those who couldn't cope and lost their lives because of it. Somehow at the end of it all an investigator rang me and said they could not find any reason for this debt to have been showing so they actually put in a formal forgiveness for it or something like that and deleted the debt. I could not believe it until I had it in writing from them and think I've still got that letter here filed away as I'm still baffled how it could've happened. I'm still panicked when I see the texts informing me of a myGov message.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Care 13

Moomintroll

My worst experience with Clink was when a client, who was an asylum.seeker still on a temporary visa, received a notice for a $46K debt right in the middle of covid (2020). They wanted multiple years full repayment of FTB for 2 kids because they claimed she hadn't been eligible.  She was adamant she had always reported all required info correctly.  It took 18 months work from a community lawyer to prove it was actually their mistake and for the debt to be dropped.  You can only imagine the trauma. This family were not eligible for income support during covid and were making do with food hampers when the notice arrived. 😒 

• Crying 2
  • Angry 13

My sister went spiraling when she got hit with the stupid thing. I've only ever owed money to CL a long time ago, but even knowing about it and how hawkish they can be I stress when I see something saying I've got a mygov email (okay the ones from child support often stress me more as the ex is a dick and keeps putting in things so he doesn't have to pay the minimum payments he's on). Actually I'm a bit stressed at the moment because I was paid more then what I put in for the financial estimate (only by a few thousand), but depend on FTB to make finances work where I am.

• Care 6

Also I hope that criminal charges are laid against a number of people, including Scott Morrison. I know both Civil and Criminal charges were recommended by the Commission. Also the general societal attitude against welfare. It often disgusts me. It's there to help people and often it's really not a huge amount of money. These people are often the most vulnerable in our society. And it is NOT hard to find yourself in the situation where you are now one of them. Some compassion and understanding could go a long way. 

• Like 6
  • 100 8

17 minutes ago, CrankyM said:

Also I hope that criminal charges are laid against a number of people, including Scott Morrison. I know both Civil and Criminal charges were recommended by the Commission. Also the general societal attitude against welfare. It often disgusts me. It's there to help people and often it's really not a huge amount of money. These people are often the most vulnerable in our society. And it is NOT hard to find yourself in the situation where you are now one of them. Some compassion and understanding could go a long way. 

Well, we even saw it on EB, where someone was wondering why all people on Jobseeker were having their benefits doubled, not just the ones who'd still have a job if it wasn't for Covid layoffs.   That comes with an assumption that the long term unemployed are just fine and dandy with the money they're receiving and have found a way to make it work for them, so why do they need more.

I was a bit sorry, in a weird way, that it got doubled, because there are now vast numbers of people who'll STILL never know what it's like to try to live on jobstart, even though they were on it while covid kept them out of work. If all of those newly unemployed, high income people had had to find out what it was like, I think it would be increased by now.

• Like 12
  • 100 1

1 minute ago, LunaFreya said:

I didn’t think it could be possible to lower my opinion of Morriscum

At least we don't have to listen to his voice very often.  I'm grateful for that, most days.  Even Dutton doesn't have that effect on me.

• Like 7

IamtheMumma
5 hours ago, DrowninginPlushies said:

I started having out of character panic attacks if I got a text message saying I had a message in my MyGov inbox (DD was in daycare). I admitted this to other parents and they said they had the same panic/fear response and if they couldn't check immediately they'd become worse. So, I can only imagine what Robodebt victims felt in comparison since it was such a massive problem they couldn't escape, and knew they couldn't win, even though they had done nothing wrong. 

I still shudder when I get one. But years earlier...I was fearful of opening them. One letter away from ruin every time. 

• Care 8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

My worst experience with Clink was when a client, who was an asylum.seeker still on a temporary visa, received a notice for a $46K debt right in the middle of covid (2020). They wanted multiple years full repayment of FTB for 2 kids because they claimed she hadn't been eligible.  She was adamant she had always reported all required info correctly.  It took 18 months work from a community lawyer to prove it was actually their mistake and for the debt to be dropped.  You can only imagine the trauma. This family were not eligible for income support during covid and were making do with food hampers when the notice arrived. 😒 

Hmm interesting that my 'debt' was exactly half that amount. My memory is extremely hazy from those years due to high anxiety with divorce and this debt hanging over me. But now you mention it I think mine had something to do with ftb too and they were convinced I'd been working and earning a fortune or some such thing and 'was I sure there wasn't a partner or been remarried' etc. Was infuriating. 

Off topic..I forgot that Jobseeker is taxed so will have a 'real' debt to the ATO lucky me as I've a Casual job as well and earning the big bucks 😒

Edited by SFmummyto3
  • Care 2
  • Sad 2

RynandStompy
On 08/07/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ozgirl said:

Absolutely..

And those responsible won't feel as much hurt. Even the lawyer fees will like have a dent in their overall net wealth. 

Lawyers fees?

I thought most most lawyers fees to date, accessed by Morrison, Tudge, Robert, Turnbull etc were taxpayer funded. We paid, not them.

• Like 5

RynandStompy

Neil Mitchell, Ben Fordham and right wing mainstream media journos from Herald Sun, The Australian etc are also culpable in my opinion.

They absolutely aided the rhetoric that welfare recipients were undeserving. They helped Tudge leak personal details of people who tried to highlight unfair Robodebts and splashed them as news - to cow complainants into silence.

..and now Neil has sensed a change in public opinion and is trying to pretend his hands were clean too, while he says Morrison was wrong. Neil HELPED put the boot in!

Screenshot_20230710-191610_Twitter.jpg

• Like 12
  • 100 1

16 minutes ago, RynandStompy said:

Lawyers fees?

I thought most most lawyers fees to date, accessed by Morrison, Tudge, Robert, Turnbull etc were taxpayer funded. We paid, not them.

Would the taxpayer pay for the civil charges? That are.laod now?

RynandStompy

This (courtesy of Rick Morton) was a legal costs fee table recently available .

"This is just for inquiry hearings, not the report itself if that is required of them. "

So I don't know if they'd still have taxpayer funded representation, if they appeared in a subsequent civil or criminal prosecution.

20230710_193404.jpg

Edited by RynandStompy
First para corrected
  • Angry 3

Advertisement