IGNORED

Robodebt royal commission

dianalynch

Thanks for starting this.  My daughter didn't tell me about hers until the debt collectors starting calling (as she didn't have the $3.5k they demanded).  She put off telling me because she assumed she was too stupid to complete the online requirements correctly.   In her case there wasn't even any crossover between work income and study payment. Her employer simply put the full year on the annual income statement, and that's all it took. Also didn't provide pay slips. Also failed to sign one of the forms our daughter took to her to sign to confirm dates of employment.  Three EMPLOYER errors.  Did they hear about it? Of course not, no money for the government in that.

• Like 2
  • Care 1
  • Crying 5
  • Angry 5
  • Sad 11

@Bornagirl our youngest had one of the same amount. She had done all that was required of her, she was a student working part time and the slip up was also her employer. This pretty much led to a downward spiral in her mental health which was already teetering.

• Like 2
  • Crying 9
  • Angry 3
  • Sad 8

12 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

@Bornagirl our youngest had one of the same amount. She had done all that was required of her, she was a student working part time and the slip up was also her employer. This pretty much led to a downward spiral in her mental health which was already teetering.

I'm sorry to hear it.   If only she'd shown me straight away, I'd have looked at her income statement and recognised the problem, and being a couple of years earlier, the employer might not have been so difficult about it.

At least we still have our kids.  I just feel devastated for the parents & families of those who couldn't face it.   I do hope some people pay the price for what they've done.

• Like 12
  • Crying 3
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

I'm sorry to hear it.   If only she'd shown me straight away, I'd have looked at her income statement and recognised the problem, and being a couple of years earlier, the employer might not have been so difficult about it.

At least we still have our kids.  I just feel devastated for the parents & families of those who couldn't face it.   I do hope some people pay the price for what they've done.

Fortunately ours did show us  a few days after she received it although it had done enormous damage even in that time. 

Like you I am just heartbroken for those who found it just too much.:(

• Crying 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

I do hope some people pay the price for what they've done.

Me too. It might be hormonal but I was in tears yesterday listening to a detailed report on it. Those aresholes that did this!! Listening to the blatant disregard and even defending themselves. And how many now disgraced leaders were at the helm (even if you take scomo out of the equation!!) Tudge and Porter come to mind. 

I just realised and maybe it has already happened but those who paid their debts will they get them back? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ozgirl said:

Me too. It might be hormonal but I was in tears yesterday listening to a detailed report on it. Those aresholes that did this!! Listening to the blatant disregard and even defending themselves. And how many now disgraced leaders were at the helm (even if you take scomo out of the equation!!) Tudge and Porter come to mind. 

I just realised and maybe it has already happened but those who paid their debts will they get them back? 

Yes, with some petty compensation. It was all paid back a year or two ago. My daughter didn't pay hers, she didn't have the money, and by the time we were in the thick of sorting it out, the court challenge had come about, and they announced they weren't pursuing the debts until it was resolved. In the meantime they took her $500ish tax return though, which she really needed. O.k. she had us, she wasn't going to be sleeping on the street or in her car, like plenty who would be desperately waiting for the money, but it certainly had an effect on her mental health - I should imagine that would have happened to the majority.

Once it was all resolved, the tax return was paid back to her, and she received $36 compensation for the withholding of that money.  Compensation was paid according to how much of the person's money they held, and for how long.

• Sad 11

2 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

O.k. she had us, she wasn't going to be sleeping on the street or in her car, like plenty who would be desperately waiting for the money, but it certainly had an effect on her mental health - I should imagine that would have happened to the majority.

Absolutely..

And those responsible won't feel as much hurt. Even the lawyer fees will like have a dent in their overall net wealth. 

IamtheMumma

I'm reading the report and I think the debt that I had a few years back was a robodebt. It was over 5K (which I've paid back). I had a phone call one day about owing Centrelink money. I had an appointment a few days later where the Centrelink CSO told me that I needed to provide my payslips for the last 3 years and that after they'd established that I'd been "double dipping", I'd be sent to jail for defrauding the government. I was absolutely scared out of my mind. Not only would I be away from my kids, my work life would be over as a criminal conviction would mean I'd lose my registration. 

• Care 2
  • Crying 1
  • Angry 15

16 hours ago, IamtheMumma said:

I'm reading the report and I think the debt that I had a few years back was a robodebt. It was over 5K (which I've paid back). I had a phone call one day about owing Centrelink money. I had an appointment a few days later where the Centrelink CSO told me that I needed to provide my payslips for the last 3 years and that after they'd established that I'd been "double dipping", I'd be sent to jail for defrauding the government. I was absolutely scared out of my mind. Not only would I be away from my kids, my work life would be over as a criminal conviction would mean I'd lose my registration. 

Anyone who was assessed as having a Robodebt (i.e. their debt calculated by that method) was refunded and automatically opted in to the piddling compensation scheme.   I believe the first income year widely being used was June 2013, but may be out a year.

Our daughter didn't have to do anything to qualify for the refund - it was all automatic.

The robodebt ones were sent out by letter, and there were so many of them I'd be surprised if phone calls and appointments were organised. 

If you provided all of your payslips and it was still established that you'd been overpaid, I'm afraid there's a reasonable chance that you were.  If it was a Robodebt and you were able to provide accurate payslips, then the debt was cleared.

BornToLove

The podcast 7am is doing a series on robodebt this week with Rick Morton. Todays episode is Rick interviewing Bill Shorten. The rest of the week sounds interesting, worth checking out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BornToLove said:

The podcast 7am is doing a series on robodebt this week with Rick Morton. Todays episode is Rick interviewing Bill Shorten. The rest of the week sounds interesting, worth checking out. 

Thanks for this. I wondered how to hear more from him.

1 hour ago, ContentedFleur said:

I hope this link goes through, because it highlights some of the most despicable behaviour by Scott "Never MY fault" Morrison ever, and that's saying something. 

https://twitter.com/catrollison/status/1678025932098117633?s=20

What does it say?  Unfortunately twitter have changed the rules and any replies are no longer viewable.  

12 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

What does it say?  Unfortunately twitter have changed the rules and any replies are no longer viewable.  

That Morrison signed off on 20 Feb 2015 that robodebt was a dead duck policy. 11 days later Katheryn Campbell and her deputy phoenixed it as a new policy proposal under pressure from Morrison to find a way to get it back up. 

• Angry 7

purplekitty
33 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

It works for me?

58 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Geeze I hope he is one of the people to face charges. They all knew from the start it was wrong. Terrible. 

In worried his defense will be I didn't know and when I did as prime minister I made steps to right it. 

@DrowninginPlushies - I get the same panic attacks to my gov notifications. DD is in high school now and no longer qualifies for child care rebates but I had that little bolt of panic last week when I got a my gov notification that a message was waiting for me. I wish they would tell you which service sent the notice (this instance was the ATO). It would make life much easier. 

• 100 5
  • Care 3

Advertisement