IGNORED

Bus crash in Hunter Valley :(

Not Escapin Xmas

StillFreddiesMum

My heart also goes out to the newlywed couple.  How tragic for them.  And every year on their wedding anniversary - this will be what is remembered instead of their special day.  It's such a horror for all the people involved.  

Edited by StillFreddiesMum
  • Like 9
  • 100 2
  • Crying 11
  • Sad 2

If people want to help, go donate blood or plasma and encourage other adults who can to do so. Especially if you are type O. Urgent shipments of blood product was sent from Sydney in the wake of the crash.

I donate plasma every two weeks so mine was likely in that shipment 

• Like 10

MerryMadigralMadge

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/teachers-raised-concerns-about-hunter-valley-bus-driver-after-school-excursion-20230614-p5dgjr.html

Teachers from a NSW school raised concerns about a Hunter Valley driver just days before 10 wedding guests were killed and dozens injured when his coach rolled over in one of the deadliest bus crashes in decades.

……On the trip to Bathurst our teachers raised concerns about the driver and reported them at the end of the trip as per our usual procedures,” principal Phillip Nash wrote. 

• Sad 5

Chocolate Addict

Has there been any updates on the condition of those still in hospital?

Does anyone know the age of the kids that lost both parents? are they young young (like too young to fully understand) or a bit older? Not that it matters but thinking of little ones not understanding why mum and dad aren't coming home is just heartbreaking.

*Maybe there needs to be a new post started about bus safety? We don't know who did/didn't have seatbelts so it is sounding a bit like victim blaming. I know no one is meaning to do that but it could come across that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/teachers-raised-concerns-about-hunter-valley-bus-driver-after-school-excursion-20230614-p5dgjr.html

Teachers from a NSW school raised concerns about a Hunter Valley driver just days before 10 wedding guests were killed and dozens injured when his coach rolled over in one of the deadliest bus crashes in decades.

……On the trip to Bathurst our teachers raised concerns about the driver and reported them at the end of the trip as per our usual procedures,” principal Phillip Nash wrote. 

Oh this is horrible. Such a missed opportunity. I feel sick thinking about it. 

• 100 1
  • Crying 1

Kiwi Bicycle
On 15/06/2023 at 2:19 PM, Chocolate Addict said:

*Maybe there needs to be a new post started about bus safety? We don't know who did/didn't have seatbelts so it is sounding a bit like victim blaming. I know no one is meaning to do that but it could come across that way.

Today there's a media release from the groom's parents asking people to lobby for bus seat belts and laws to police this.

It was a glorious occasion until news of the bus crash with ten people losing their lives came within a few hours that has shattered many lives,” John Gaffney posted on LinkedIn.

“Hopefully something positive can come out of this tragedy.

“Fifty years ago the fitting and wearing of seat belts became compulsory in Australia for all occupants of motor cars saving countless lives since.

“Whilst my wife and I can’t do this on our own we believe ultimately everyone who rides a bus should have access to a seatbelt and be compelled by laws to wear them.

• Like 9

No words would be able to describe what the bride and groom and their families are currently going through.

I hope the media give them the time to process and morn those whom they sadly lost.

• Like 3

Julie3Girls

Linq bus lines is the company that our high school (and probably a lot of local schools) use. Including for their big 10 day interstate tours. The school has never had a problem with the bus company or the drivers - there are a couple of drivers that our school specifically request.  
They were using one of the coaches on Wednesday last week. The teachers actually got the kids together the day before, had a chat about how they are continuing to use the bus company, and if anyone had a problem with it, they were allowed to make their own arrangements to get to and from the show.  Dd said there was a lot more emphasis on seatbelts - they are always told to wear them, but this time, the bus driver did an inspection before driving away, and teachers were a lot more on top of anyone playing up on the bus. 

• Like 9

Kiwi Bicycle

@Julie3Girls I think I am right that you are in SA? I assume from the article Ozgirl linked above that the inspections were done on the NSW depots. I hope that the issues are only certain depot wide and not the entire Coachline. It will be interesting to see if it is so.

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

@Julie3Girls I think I am right that you are in SA? I assume from the article Ozgirl linked above that the inspections were done on the NSW depots. I hope that the issues are only certain depot wide and not the entire Coachline. It will be interesting to see if it is so.

I think Julie is from NSW?

Julie3Girls
1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I’m in NSW, about an hour away from where the accident took place, my DH grew up in Singleton. So yes, same bus company, same bus depot which would be providing coaches for our high school.

Most of what they found with the coaches sounded fairly minor, and probably not unexpected given the coaches are used for school students daily.  This accident was due to the individual driver, not a fault with the bus. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lesley225 said:

There were no major findings when they inspected the coaches, no systemic issues found.

Link? 

So all seat belts were useable? 

Julie3Girls

I don’t think they have released any information regarding seatbelts and the coach involved in the accident.  So no information on any defective seatbelts, or how many passengers were actually wearing them.
There were seatbelt issues raised for other coaches during the inspection, but no details on how many.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

All this has brought it all back. Why does it take over a year to sentence someone? Been a fucking awful week.

• Care 4

Advertisement