IGNORED

Bus crash in Hunter Valley :(

Not Escapin Xmas

I‘m another who dislikes the media posting photos of the couple whose wedding it was. Seems such an invasion of privacy. 

• Like 3
  • 100 6

I was reading it when the police first issued the statement. Discovering it was a wedding bus.... I feel so much for the couple, their family and friends. 

• Crying 1

Chocolate Addict

tragic :(
I am guessing because it is a single vehicle accident that it is assumed driver fault. Perhaps going to fast around the round about or something. They obviously have good reason to take him to the station.

The poor bride and groom, what a terrible memory to have of their special day.

I hope the death toll doesn't rise. :(

I've been to two relatives weddings at the vineyards in the last  year and they had a bus in each instance to get back to Newcastle though I went with relatives and we left early.  So it feels close to home.   Tragic and not the way you want to start a marriage.  

• 100 2
  • Sad 3

Julie3Girls
1 hour ago, Lesley225 said:

I've been to two relatives weddings at the vineyards in the last  year and they had a bus in each instance to get back to Newcastle though I went with relatives and we left early.  So it feels close to home.   Tragic and not the way you want to start a marriage.  

Same. My SILs was like this - winery not far from this one, and then we all loaded on the coach back to where we were staying. Everyone still in party mode on the bus. Horrifying to think these people were doing the same thing, enjoying the end of the night and this happened.

And not liking the wedding photos being posted.  Especially one article that posted the big group photo - they blanked out faces of everyone other than the bride and groom, but those people that died are in that photo … 😢

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Like 1
  • 100 3
  • Sad 2

The people who made those private photos easy for the media to access are dogs. 

Edited by STBG 2
  • Like 7

I can imagine how the newly weds must be feeling.  They most likely organised the bus for the safety of the attendees and this has occurred.  I can not imagine what occurred for this accident to happen, and once information is made public that it is going to something that could not be avoided

• Like 10

Julie3Girls

The driver has been formally charged …

The 58-year-old driver of the bus has been charged with ten counts of dangerous driving occasioning death - drive manner dangerous, and negligent driving (occasioning death).

The Maitland man was refused bail and will appear at Cessnock Local Court tomorrow.

They have got the bus upright, and the deaths are still at 10, so thankfully, they obviously haven’t found any more once they moved the bus.

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Crying 8

5 hours ago, Julie3Girls said:

The coach was a full size coach from a local bus company, pretty sure the driver would have been from the bus company. 

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea what sort of bus it was and thought it could be a smaller one.  I could just imagine uncle bob with his bus licence happy to help out.  I imagine it would be so much harder with a family member behind the wheel, but I also suppose devastation is devastation so maybe it would not have made a difference.

Kiwi Bicycle
1 hour ago, STBG 2 said:

The people who made those private photos easy for the media to access are dogs. 

Maybe not. They might just of posted on FB with public settings, or Instagram. They had no idea a tragedy would happen, they were just celebrating online.

The media are pretty crafty about how they get stuff. I have had media harrass me in my home when a newsworthy event happened near me. They peered over my back fence, somehow found my home phone number and called me for comment and the next day were knocking on the door wanting a camera interview. They also asked if I had any photos of the persons involved. Very insistent and I was a neighbour to the incident, not a friend or family person.

• Like 11
  • 100 1

44 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Maybe not. They might just of posted on FB with public settings, or Instagram. They had no idea a tragedy would happen, they were just celebrating online.

The media are pretty crafty about how they get stuff. I have had media harrass me in my home when a newsworthy event happened near me. They peered over my back fence, somehow found my home phone number and called me for comment and the next day were knocking on the door wanting a camera interview. They also asked if I had any photos of the persons involved. Very insistent and I was a neighbour to the incident, not a friend or family person.

I know the media is crafty, I know they pay for photos, I know they'll stoop to any lengths. If I had posted happy snaps on FB I would have removed them the moment I knew this had occurred and I am sure that almost everyone would have known about this last night.

That photo of the entire guest as a group looked like one taken by the photographer. We all know how long it generally takes for photos taken at weddings to be ready to look at.

A photo with everyone but the bride and group blurred out knowing that so many are dead is sick.

Edited by STBG 2
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

Julie3Girls

A lot of those photos, included the group one is credited as Facebook/the Hunter valley celebrant.  That sounds like the wedding celebrant was snapping photos off tot he side as the professional took his shots.

Yep I suspect the media have opportunistically taken the pics while people were distracted or mourning.

My friend got married and had her wedding dinner at a famous St Kilda restaurant that was burnt down during their dinner (at say 8.30pm) and she was woken at 6am to a channel 7 reporter wanting to interview her (she declined). Then months later when the venue reopened they called her asking her to wear her wedding dress to do a re-enactment. Again she declined.

Just so sad. For everyone 

• Surprised 3
  • Crying 1
  • Angry 4

I did hear a lot of helicopters that night, I do see them fairly often as I think I'm on the flight path to the John Hunter, I'm only about 5 km away much closer by air.

• Crying 1

46 minutes ago, Prancer said:

I don’t know.  If I had been in a bus crash or dealing with the aftermath of plenty of my friends and relatives being dead or injured, I may not think to delete the happy snaps.  It may well bring me comfort to look at them and the media using them might not even cross my mind.

It would be entirely up to the bride and groom, the victims and the family to make that call.

46 minutes ago, MoukMouk said:

What if some of the people that posted the happy snaps are currently in hospital? Or if the media had trawled their accounts before this all role this morning and they were still asleep? I hate to think that someone might reading this thinking “but I never had a chance to delete the photos”. It’s a traumatic situation. The media would have found photos somewhere. The bride and groom are obviously sporty and well connected in their communities 

So you think it's okay for the media to trawl through these for content without the thought that it may be extremely distressing for some?

17 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

It would be entirely up to the bride and groom, the victims and the family to make that call.

To make what call?  I imagine once people have recovered, are not in crisis or realise how the media is obtaining photos, they may well delete photos from social media or lock their profiles down.  

In my circles it is quite common for people to post a photo of themselves with the newly deceased person after they have just died.  I don’t think they ask anyone for permission?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

So you think it's okay for the media to trawl through these for content without the thought that it may be extremely distressing for some?

I think @MoukMouk is saying the opposite - that it may be the media who are responsible for unethically publishing the photos rather than the attendees at the wedding.

• Like 12
  • 100 2

20 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

I think @MoukMouk is saying the opposite - that it may be the media who are responsible for unethically publishing the photos rather than the attendees at the wedding.

Yes agree. 

I don’t think anyone from the wedding purposely released the photos to the media. 

lots of the images I saw looked like they came from IG. And if anyone published on a public IG and tagged the wedding venue it would be easy. Then a hashtag the couple asked guests to use. Then the photographer may have used that hashtag. 

and any good photograph doesn’t need to edit photos to have put some up by the end of the night. I have actually heard of packages including express released photos that day. 

media helping themselves to what now has become common place is much more likely than someone feeding them to the media. And I don’t think the bride and grooms first thought would be to take these images down when they first heard of the accident. (Not that they could control what other guests had put in their IG, they could only delete their own). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Media are acting the way they always do, like bloodthirsty vampires. Plenty of brainless people out there feeding on it too.

It's just such a fucking tragedy and breaks my heart. We have been to weddings just like this one and taken the bus back to our accommodation. So many lives changed forever in an instant.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement